Portugal is an European country and one of the outstanding ones in the continent. In terms of education, the tertiary institutions in Portugal offer both undergraduate and post-graduate studies to international students. In this post we will outline hot to get a Study Visa to Portugal from Nigeria as well as its requirements.
Standard Of Education in Portugal
The country can boast of several of its Institutions in the top 200 in the world. If you seek Research, skills and other professional programs, be sure to get it from Portugal
What is A Portugal Student Visa for Nigerians
If you are a Nigerian citizen, you will need a Study Visa to enable you study in Portugal. The Portuguese Study Visa (Schengen Type D Visa) type that enables a prospective student have the opportunity to study in the country. This Visa should only be applied for if your course of study is above 3 Months else you should apply for a Visit Visa.
The Portugal Study Visa allows only Doctorate students for research purposes have a reserach work time. This means you can work while on your program
NOTE: you can only apply for Portugal Study Visa after an educational institute offers you admission. After this, you then apply for a Study Visa in Nigeria. However, after this Visa is issued, make sure on arriving in Portugal, you must apply for Residence Permit. This Must be done with 90 days in Portugal. This Residence permit only last for 1 year after which you will need to renew.
Study Visa to Portugal Requirements
The following documents should be taken to the Visa Application center along side the Admission Letter from aPortuguese institute of learning
- Admission Letter showing that you have been offered admission by a learning institute in PPortugal
- Internation Passport
- Travel Itinerary
- Proof of Tuition Payment
- Proof of fund to cover living and other cost for a year. This proof can be a bank statement either from you or sponsor.
- Sponsor letter of commitment if you have a sponsor
- Bank statement which should not be less than 6 Months
- Passport Photograph
- Schengen Travel Insurance; A copy of a genuine travel insurance certificate worth 30,000 Euro.
- Visa Application which must be Duly filled and signed. Click Here to DOWNLOAD FORM
- Police Clearance
Steps to Apply for Portugal Study Visa from Nigeria
- Make sure you have applied for admission from a ortuguese institute. Then once you have been offered admision, proceed to Step 2
- Gather Documents; The various documents listed above (Study Visa Requirements) should be collated
- The Portuguese embassy has partnered with VFS Global Limited for applicants’ application handling. You can visit either the Lagos or the Abuja office of VFS to submit your application.
Abuja: Sterling Bank Plaza, 3rd Floor, Plot 1083 Mohammadu Buhari Way, Central Business District, Abuja
Lagos: Plot 110, Admiral Ayinla Way, opposite Treasure Garden Estate, Third Roundabout, Lekki Phase I
- Track Your Application Online
VFS Global maintains an open process that allows you monitor the state of your application. This link directs you to the portal where you can do this. Click here to see where you can monitor your application.
- Collect your Passport from Embassy
Cost of Portugal Study Visa in Nigeria
The cost of the Visa is Between 60 Euro to 160 Euro. This prices changes so please kindly confirm the current price from the VFS Global Application Center. The cost of this could also increase if you wish too use courier service to submit your application.
It takes approximately 4 weeks or longer for the whole Visa process. We advise you apply about 2-3 months before the intended travel date.